Saturday, March 6, 2010





So, this is where it all starts, with a somewhat overexposed but still (I hope) appealing pictures of my latest treasure, a pot of Spring Promise Hellebores. The sun we get in our little hovel is pretty intense and high contrast, occurring in the hour or two just before sunset really begins. We, by the way, includes me, my someday-husband, and our little Papillon.

What are we doing here? I guess explaining that will require a bit of history (I'll try to make this short). About nine months ago, I graduated from a prestigious design school, which I am not yet sure I intend to ever name here, with a degree in fashion design. Let's just say it's in New York City and the aforementioned major is what the school is best known for. About 5 days after graduation, my lease was up, I moved out, and landed in something of a whirlwind back in the very place I came from. Fast forward, I'm still here. If you're just about anyone trying to get hired right out of school, or trying to get hired at all, I don't need to explain why. Needless to say this is not what I planned (hoped? dreamed?).

"Form a new plan!", I said to myself. So, without a long and likely uninteresting account of the struggle and meditation required to come up with one, here it is:

1. I will, instead of pursuing fashion head on for the time being, apply my taste and design capabilities to floral design. In the interest of improving my technique in this new area, I will practice and take classes. In order to build my portfolio, I will do flowers at-cost for a few weddings, a pretty major event, and it looks like a couple photo shoots.

2. I will blog about this new endeavor, with as much focus as I can muster on staying on-topic, in the hopes of building a sounding board for my ideas and photos of what I'm working on.

3. I will, sometime in the next year or so, open a brick and mortar flower shop. The shop will cater mainly to brides, but also serving more general floral needs of the public. I would like it to include some small bridal accessories as well, such as pretty hairpieces and wraps, some of which I may also design.

Who knows what will come of all this, but it's where I'm headed right now. More on all this to come, though the next post I have planned is just about beautiful, wonderful flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment